Saturday, March 8, 2014

It's Raining, It's Pouring, the Old Man is Snoring!

When Aaron and I began working on our budget back in November, my mom told me that once I had my emergency fund it place to get ready - it was going to rain.  I thought to myself, surely not...the baby emergency fund is supposed to be my murphy-proofing!  Boy oh boy was I wrong!  As always, my mom was right. :)

Since getting that fund together, we have had to tap into it three or four times.  The next time, I'm afraid, is going to be a DOOSEY!  Back in September we got a letter from our county saying that the ditch that runs across our side yard needed to be cleaned out.  We had sixty days to clean it. 

The kids and I worked tirelessly to get the ditch emptied out.  We raked out all of the leaves and picked up any trash we could find.  I called the man in charge and left a message telling him the work was done.  He in turn told me he'd be in my neighborhood soon and would let me know if we did enough.  I never heard from him.

Two days ago (on my anniversary, no less) we got a letter from the county attorney saying we did not complete the work and if it wasn't completed in twenty days, they would hire a contractor to do the work and slap a lien on our house.  I contacted the guy and he said he'd come out today to meet with me about it.

It turns out, we have about two dozen trees that we have to cut down along with a ton of smaller bushes and other vegetation.  The county engineer said it'll cost a couple thousand dollars to hire the work done.  Instant stress.  :(

I'm hoping Aaron will get on board and do the work before they hire a contractor.  I hate to bug him, but it's just work that I can't do. 

I tend to stress out about these kinds of things so I'm trying not to.  Wish me luck...  ;)

Update!  Update!  Update!
I realized I never finished and published this post, so I thought I'd go ahead, but I'm happy that I can give a positive update to it!

Aaron plugged in BIG TIME and cut all of the trees down in less than a week.  Our awesome friend from church, Teresa, helped us with the whole project.  We have a ton of firewood stacked up for the upcoming bonfire seasons....okay we probably have three or four year's worth....and a cleaned out ditch.

I handed the dealings over to Aaron and he has dealt with the county engineer since I met with him and was upset by what all we had to do.  Aaron has been awesome, not just with the work, but with following up with the man.

It turns out the house on the other side of the ditch is bank owned and the bank has completely ignored the county's request to clean the ditch out.  The engineer came and looked at our work and he told Aaron he was signing off on our part of the work!  This means that when the contractor comes out next week, the lien will be put on the other house, not ours.  Yay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment