Wednesday, November 3, 2010

We Have a Winner!

Many of you who read my blog regularly know that I've been struggling with just what to do with the boy in the hen house.  He's a handsome guy, pretty friendly (as far as roosters go), and is a good protector for the girls, but I must say we have been dreaming of some good old chicken & dumplings via Mr. Buffy.  Back in the spring, when we first decided to get chickens, the first rule we set was that if anyone got a boy, he would not stay - no matter how attached we were. 

A couple of weeks ago I heard that the Cape Fear Fair & Expo was going to be setting up shop and that they were looking for livestock animals to display at the fair.  We decided to enter Mr. Buffy into the fair and got all of the paperwork around.  He had to pass an inspection and a blood test, which he did, so he was welcomed into the livestock tent with over 200 other animals ranging from tiny little bunnies & bantam chickens, all the way up to big horses & cows.  We have been visiting Mr. Buffy at the fair every other day and also helping clean cages, feed animals, and give them fresh water.  Well, the last time we went, we were shocked to see a blue ribbon hanging from Buff's cage!  That's right!  Our almost-turned-into-dinner boy has won a first place prize in the "youth - cockerel" division!  I thought I'd share a photo for you.  Under the photo, you can read Mr. Buffy's bio, which I printed and hung on his cage so fair-goers could read up on him.  We are very proud and very excited for our backyard superstar.  The kids say we can't eat him anymore....Mommy and Daddy still think Blue Ribbon Chicken & Dumplings sound great!  :0)

My name is Mr. Buffy. I am five months old. My family thought I was a female Buff Orpington chicken when they got me (at just one day old) so they named me Buffy. As I grew – and started crowing – they realized that my name wasn’t quite a good fit, so they added the “Mr.” part to it.

I love pancakes, spaghetti noodles, cottage cheese and corn on the cob! I live in a backyard flock of chickens with ten hens and a big white German shepherd dog named Angel. Although I do a good job of protecting the ladies (as my human flock calls the hens), Angel is my backup officer in case of emergencies.


I am a big University of Michigan Football fan and crow at every touchdown, which, unfortunately, hasn’t been a lot lately.


My human flock consists of Mom & Dad and five kids. I like them because they feed me yummy treats (see above) and let me free range every night before bed. While free ranging, I love to eat bugs, frogs, and even anoles (geckos).


Thank you for stopping by to visit me. I hope you have a wonderful time at the fair and if you see any pancakes, will you let me know?

No comments:

Post a Comment