Thursday, November 28, 2013

Black Friday

I've never been much of a Black Friday shopper but have been known to *occasionally* run out for a good deal or two in years past. This year we are not spending any money on Christmas so I have no need to even look at BF deals, however I feel very blessed to not have any pull to the big shopping day. I know there are some great deals (an iPad mini for $199!) but knowing that my budget is zero, I'm just not interested. I'm glad it's easy!

If you're wondering why we're not spending anything for Christmas, we recently took a trip to DisneyWorld and we all decided earlier in the year that birthday and Christmas money would go towards that trip. We paid cash for our trip. Actually, pre Dave Ramsey, we set out with a budget and a plan to go to Disney debt free. Instead of birthday gifts, we contributed money on each of our birthdays, sold stuff, as well as set aside money each month to cover the cost of the trip. Now that we've learned Dave's plan, we realize that that money should have paid down debt but we're not beating ourselves up about it. It is what it is and we're taking the steps to get out of debt now. 

I've challenged myself to make a homemade gift for each of the kids this year but with a twist. Since I have a zero budget for Christmas, I am making them things with what I already have. No supply shopping......not even for a single zipper or bias tape!  I'm about finished with Kip's gift. I made him a fabric tic-tac-toe mat. Aaron is going to make wooden X's and O's for it. I'm still working on ideas for the other four. The girls are pretty easy to come up with gift ideas but the older boys are a challenge. I'm hoping Aaron can help me out with ideas for them!

Happy thanksgiving, everyone!  And if you're heading out for Black Friday shopping, may the force be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment