Saturday, December 28, 2013

Our First Emergency......!

We knew it was bound to happen. Dave Ramsey says it'll rain. When people tell him he has to stay positive, he tells them, "I am positive. I'm positive it's going to rain!" That's pretty funny.....until it happens!  ;)

My car has been squeaking for awhile so we new a repair was coming, but I had no idea that it would take $400 to fix it. The squeaking was the AC belt, however the bigger problem was a "thump, thump, thump" that I kept hearing. After some quick Internet research, I realized that driving a 'thumping' car was not wise. We took it to our mechanic and sure enough, it was a doosey!  

Aaron seemed almost giddy about going to the bank and taking out 40% of our emergency fund to pay for this repair. He was glad it was there and said it wasn't stressful at all. I get what he's saying...really I do. However, I found the whole ordeal bothersome. I know that we can build back up the emergency fund but I'd rather be paying down on debt!  Now that I've realized we CAN and WILL get out from under debt, I'm just in a hurry to get it over with. :) I keep reminding myself that it took years to spend my way into this mess and it's going to take time to get out. Patience is not my strong point. ;)

After doing the bills lat paycheck, I had almost $200 leftover that was supposed to go to the debt snowball. I still wanted to send it to the visa and deal with the emergency fund over the next two paychecks, but Aaron wanted it replace what we took from the emergency fund. So, we decided to ask my parents what they would do. They had a split vote, too!  My mom agreed with Aaron (as usual) ;) and my dad agreed with me. I even asked about a 50/50 split: half to the emergency fund, half to the debt. No go. So, that $200 still sits in our checking account waiting to be issued to the debt or the emergency fund. At this point, we're decided to wait until next payday to decide where to put everything. I think by then, thanks to some overtime and holiday pay, we can replace what's missing in the emergency fund and still have a chunk to pay on the debt snowball.  So, this story is to be continued. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment