Sunday, December 8, 2013

Slam Dunk Baby Step One!

I'm so excited to say that we have indeed passed through baby step one in Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace program! (Baby step one is to build a starter emergency fund of $1,000 so you never have to use a credit card for unexpected expenses. He calls it "Murphy-proofing" your budget.) :) 

We have been selling a lot on Craig's List. We sold some bikes for $120, a sewing machine for $40 and even some salt and pepper shakers for $10. I tell ya, when Dave said, "Sell so much stuff that the kids think they're next" I took it literally. LOL!  If we don't need it, if it's not an heirloom item and if it can't make money, it's going to be for sale!  I figure I can always re-buy anything I truly miss, right?

Recently on Facebook a saw a post of a family from China pictured with all of their worldly possessions. They had so little, yet they have everything they need. I think the Lord showed me that picture intentionally because something inside me clicked. I've always been somewhat of a minimalist. I donate to the Goodwill at least once a month.  (Jake calls the drop off boxes donate dumpsters. LOL!) I don't typically keep things I don't use or need, but now that I've seen that photo, I've realized that even the things I've kept may not actually be necessary. I'm taking a second look at everything in my house and if it's not truly needed, it's for sale. It's freeing!  And as each 'thing' leaves, I feel lighter, cleaner, and downright better. I'm decluttering and getting out of debt at the same time. Praise the Lord!

Aaron and I are so happy to have met baby step one so soon. We keep looking at each other and grinning. Our goal was to have it finished by January 1st so we're excited to be ahead of the game!  Our next goal is to have our three little debts knocked off by January 1st. We owe $41 to QVC, $81 to Old Navy and $180 to our dentist. It'll depend on how much we can sell and how much OT Aaron can get at work, but we're hopeful!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment