Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Daddy Knows Best!

Aaron gets paid every other Wednesday and the day before payday, he can access his paystub so we know exactly what will be deposited into our checking account the next day.  We knew this check was going to be large because of four paid holidays as well as overtime pay.  Well, it was almost twice the size of a regular paycheck!  We wrote out our budget and after all of our bills and cash out, we will have about $900 extra to throw at the Bank of America Visa! 

Instantly I began dreaming of spending that money on other things:  fencing in the back yard, a new patio door, our 20th anniversary that is right around the corner..... you get the idea.  I was on the phone with my parents and I was telling them about the extra debt payment we'll be able to make and mentioned that I was having "evil" thoughts about spending it on other things.  (Just to be clear, my intent was always to go ahead and put it on the card!) 

My dad pulled a great parent line.  He said something like, "Well, Malissa, you have a perfect opportunity here.  You can be like most people and buy more stuff, or you can decide that you're serious about getting out of debt and pay it down."  LOL!!  Yes, Daddy!  :)

I have such great, Godly parents.  They are mine and Aaron's accountability partners and they are leading the Financial Peace University class at church that starts tomorrow.  (I'm so excited!!)  They are also my biggest cheerleaders and so supportive of our debt-free journey.  I can't wait to tell them that we're debt free.  :)

Side note:  we were able to deposit piano money into our starter emergency fund today so we have officially rebounded from our first emergency ($435 car repairs).  Now that the fund is back to $1,000 any paino money I make will go to the debt snowball.  Woohoo!  I can't wait to kiss Bank of America goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment