Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Dave's Question

So I've been listening to Dave Ramsey's show almost every day and whenever someone does their debt free scream (if you've never seen or heard a debt free scream, you have to check some out on YouTube!), he always asks them the same questions: How much debt have you paid off?, How long did it take?, How much money were you making?, and the one I've been pondering lately: What was the hardest thing you've had to do?  We've only been at this for two months, but I've already had to make some not-so-fun decisions. So far, the hardest thing I've done is give up my iPhone - boy do I miss that little gadget of goodness!  That was a good decision though because losing that $209.22 bill each month put our budget in the black, which, obviously, is essential to maintaining a budget.  Another hard time was standing in Walmart at the self checkout machine using - literally - pennies, nickels and dimes, to buy ice cream for Jake's birthday. I had enough coins, but barely. That's not a fun feeling. I also thought it was hard to not be able to buy my kids a Christmas present. I kept reminding myself that Disney was our Christmas and, when all was said and done, the kids said they'd definitely pick a Disney trip over presents again. 

Right now, I'm facing another hard situation. My friends invited us to Buffalo Wild Wings for this Saturday night. I am a big Tom Brady fan (my middle son is named David Brady after Tom Brady!) and the Patriots are playing the Colts. I love going to BWW with these particular friends but we vowed we would not eat out until our debt was gone. Not going is not the hard part.  Telling them no is. I'm kinda embarrassed to say, "We're on a budget so we can't go."  I've also gotten some push back from some folks when I've mentioned Dave Ramsey, FPU or budgeting. I don't think these particular friends would bat an eye at that, but I'm still embarrassed to mention it. Bottom line:  I'm a baby.  I need to suck it up and just tell them I can't go. Aaron does have to work this weekend so that's an easy way out, but I really feel that I should be honest and say why we can't go. If the shoes were on the other feet, I'd want my friends to be honest with me. I guess I better go let them know.......

Here's my son Brady with Mrs. Puff.  He's such a great kid! <3


2 comments:

  1. Hard to say no, but good for you for sticking with your plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You're very encouraging to me. :)

    ReplyDelete